Skip to main content

Verifying your web applications works

Recently I joined a project that was built on node.js and views were generated via jade templates. The node.js backend had a few very basic tests in the form of unit tests and frontend didn't have any tests. One of my tasks was to improve the test coverage. Following is a short description of the problem and a example solution how I resolved it.

Unit testing


I started by going through the existing tests and refactoring those so that they worked as expected and added tests for the functionality I had implemented previously. These tests were run via mocha.js and utilized chai.js and supertest.

These were very mainly unit tests except for the one's that utilized supertest which tested that the web application responded correctly to very basic http requests to routes like / or /login.

I want more


In a previous project that I worked in we had mocha tests that were run in a browser so that it tested the running application within a iframe via mocha. I always liked this approach as it was similar to what selenium webdriver does but much faster.

I considered using webdriver for testing the application from end-to-end but for some reason executing webdriver tests has always been slow and as I had seen a faster running solution I rejected webdriver very early and started investigating on how to implement in-browser end-to-end tests.

After half a day of searching I didn't find any sufficient and simple enough instructions on how to implement this kind of test setup but I did run into lots of headless test solutions and from there I found one promising library that could also execute tests via real browsers...

End-to-end testing via real browser


I came across a library that has been around for a few years and has a very basic testing functionality implemented and can run tests via phantom.js or Google Chrome: dalek.js

I gave it a test run against the application we were developing and I was satisfied on how easy it was to setup and run the tests. Dalek.js provides a basic test functionality and it provides a functionality so that one can execute custom javascript functions within tests.

Example test


I createad a simple example test that opens up GitHub front page, submits search form with text dalekjs and verifies the result. Let's go through it line by line:

module.exports = {
  'GitHub example testing': function (test) {
  test
    .open('https://github.com')
    .waitForElement('input[name=q]')
    .assert.title().is('GitHub · Build software better, together.', 'GitHub has the correct page title!')
    .type('input[name=q]', 'dalekjs')
    .submit('.js-site-search-form')
    .assert.text('.sort-bar > h3:nth-child(2)', 'We\'ve found 53 repository results')
    .done();
  }
};

Rows 1-3 setup the test with a given test name on row 2.
Row 4 the test opens up the given url.
Row 5 waits that the github search box is in the dom.
Row 6 asserts that the page has correct title.
Row 7 inputs a search string to the search box.
Row 8 submits the search form.
Row 9 asserts that the search results header is correct.
Row 10 ends the test.

This exactly same simple example test can be found from my GitHub repositories https://github.com/jorilytter/dalekjs-example with instructions on README of the repository for instructions on how to install the required node dependencies and how to run the test headless with phantom.js or in a Google Chrome browser instance.

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing to help myself

It's been a while since my last post but I have a good excuse. I've been in a new customer project (well new for me) for two months now and have absorbed a lot of new information on the technology stack and the project itself. This time I'll be sharing a short post about sharing code and how it can help the one who's sharing the code. I'll be giving a real life example of how it happened to me. My story Back when I was implementing first version of my simple-todo REST-service I used Scala and Play framework for the service and specs2 for testing the implementation. Since then I've done a few other implementations of the service but I've continued to use specs2 as a testing framework. I wrote about my implementation and shared the post through various services and as a result someone forked my work and gave me some pointers on how I could improve my tests. That someone was Eric Torreborre  the man behind specs2 framework. I didn't take his ref

Simple code: Immutability

Immutability is a special thing that in my mind deserves a short explanation and praise. If you're familiar with functional programming you surely recognice the concept of immutability because it's a key ingredient of the paradigm. In the world of object oriented programming it's not as used and as easy to use approach but there are ways to incorporate immutability to parts of the code and I strongly suggest you to do so. Quick intro to immutablity The basic idea of immutability is unchangeable data.  Lets take a example. We have a need to modify a object's property but because the object is immutable we can't just change value but instead we make a copy of the object and while making the copy we provide the new value for the copy. In code it looks something like this. val pencil = Product(name = "Pencil", category = "Office supply") val blackMarker = pencil.copy(name = "Black marker") The same idea can be applied in functions and metho

Simple code: Naming things

There are two hard things in programming and naming is one them. If you don't believe me ask Martin Fowler https://www.martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html . In this post I'll be covering some general conventions for naming things to improve readability and understandabilty of the code. There are lots of things that need a name in programming. Starting from higher abstractions to lower we need to name a project, API or library, we probably need to name the source code repository, when we get to the code we need to name our modules or packages, we give names to classes, objects, interfaces and in those we name our functions or methods and within those we name our variables. Overall a lot of things to name. TLDR; Basic rule There's a single basic convention to follow to achiveve better, more descriptive naming of things. Give it a meaningful name i.e. don't use shorthands like gen or single letter variables like a, x, z instead tell what it represents, what it does